Had painful dry lip, cracked skin and red spots in the corner of mouth, not sexually active.Had HSV. Diagnosed with cheilitis. Cause?

Question
I'm a healthy 28 year old male looking for a second opinion. I was diagnosed with likely cheilitis after i had a painful lip leading to dry, cracked skin in the corner of my mouth. I am not sexually active and never have been. I've recently gotten a couple of red spots near that corner of my mouth that are alarming, perhaps for nothing. They don't hurt and look mostly under the skin though they are raised slightly.

I had an HSV 1 and 2 test performed 8 months ago just as a precaution from kissing. I've only kissed one person since who is known to be HSV free too. So I feel like that'd be an unlikely option for me. But I'd like to rule that out with the photo attached.

Also for educational purposes, what would be the odds of spontaneously contracting HSV from kissing a person who has never had a cold sore symptom? Can you put a percentage to it?

Thanks!
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 38 minutes later

Given your history and symptoms, chances are more that the symptoms are due to angular cheilitis. It is an inflammatory lesion at corner of the mouth. Dry out the lesions completely by patting and air drying after washing with a mild soap and use petroleum jelly to lock out moisture. It is vital that the affected areas be clean and completely dry before application of the jelly. You can also apply small amounts of athlete’s foot cream which is available over the counter. If the symptoms persist then please consult a dermatologist as oral antimicrobials may be needed.

The percentage of people spontaneously contracting HSV from kissing a person who has never had a cold sore symptom are less. The cold sore virus is spread by contact with the blisters or by contact with infected saliva. Even if there are no visible cold sores, it is still possible to transfer the virus, although it is far more likely to happen if the sores are actually present.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Had painful dry lip, cracked skin and red spots in the corner of mouth, not sexually active.Had HSV. Diagnosed with cheilitis. Cause? 9 hours later
Thank you doctor. I wanted to post another photo I took this morning. The skin was very dry on the two bumps, which I flaked off. Now I have a bright red, raw place. I just wanted to make sure this still doesn't look like anything HSV related. It doesn't hurt at all unless I really were to mess with it (which I'm not). Just wanted to make sure I'm still good with the original cheilitis diagnosis.

Also, you mentioned infected saliva in response to my question about contracting HSV from someone with no symptoms. What are the odds of that happening? Low? Could you put a percentage of chance with it? Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 22 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

About 70 percent of Americans are infected with HSV-1, but just a third of those infected have cold sore outbreaks and the percentage of people contracting HSV 1 when the partner does not have any active cold sores is very less.