Had pain in wrist, told to be tenosynovitis and given treatment and asked to get biopsy. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
One of my relative had pain in wrist after counselting to docter they said it may be tenosynovitis and given 15days treatment if pain not reduce we have to do biopsy what it means
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need of biopsy for tenosynovitis

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us,
I have studied your case with diligence.

Tenosynovitis is due inflammation and swelling of tendon .swelling on tendon may not reduce with medication alone.
Local steroid injection can give good results added with physiotherapy protocol. If not relieved with conservative treatment surgical release may be required.

Biopsy is done when some malignancy is suspected, if he has done some blood investigation which lead towards malignancy then biopsy can be done, but before that MRI can be done which will give extent of lesion.
Biopsy means taking out some tissue from involved area and see under microscope for pattern of cells, usually done for diagnosis of malignancy [cancer].

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Had pain in wrist, told to be tenosynovitis and given treatment and asked to get biopsy. Suggest? 49 minutes later
are the both hands effected by tenosynovitis
Thank u sir,one more question
The same pain is now started for second hand only swelling is not yet but middle three fingers get pain when moved
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes both hands can be affected

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Yes, tenosynovitis can affect both hand.
However if you can provide more details of the patient such as age and gender of the patient, duration of complaints, symptoms, details of occupation, previous medical history like diabetes, hypothyroidism, pregnancy and so on, I can be able to comment better.