Had pain in tricep after doing push ups, painful throb in tricep with slight sorenes after swimming. Taking voltaren. Suggest?

Geriatrics Specialist
Hi I had pain in my tricep after doing push ups fast in a class a few weeks ago, it settled down but after a few intense swimming sesions the pain is back it's a dull, heavy, very painful throb in my left tricep with slight sorenes into my upper left back. Im am resting and taking voltaren rapid 25's. Pain is still strong. whole arm feels weak.
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 2 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing to us,

The muscle takes glycogen in the form of glucose from blood, as its energy in order to do its routine function.

In your case, the rapid and fast push ups uses the reserve energy(depleted the stored form of energy glycogen in muscle ,only used for emergency situation). That can be replaced only weeks after the incident from the blood, that might be a reason behind your painful limb.

In worse case, there might be tear of some muscle spindles (muscle fiber) resulting sustained pain.
Try to avoid using the arm for heavy works, which will worsen the condition. Try to relax a little. Take snack before exercise.
Taking diclofenac (voltaren) reduces your pain, but have it in gel form around the region which have instant action.

If your condition worsen, it is advisable to do an electromyography test to know about your muscle status.

Take care and let me know if you have further queries .