Had pain in middle chest extending to back and neck. What could be the cause?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my wife has had pain in her middle chest which has gone though to her back and now in her neck
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The pain in the middle of the chest radiating to the back and then neck is likely to be related to acute gastritis, peptic ulcer disease, hiatus hernia (in this a part of the stomach goes above the diaphragm – the muscular partition of chest and abdomen), etc. A cardiac cause or a muscular pain seems less likely.
She will need proton pump inhibitors for a week or two. Omeprazole is usually available over the counter and can be taken once a day before breakfast. Check with your pharmacist about its availability.

In addition, she also needs some strict life style modification like-

Avoid hot and spicy foods and beverages - they worsen symptoms.
Lose weight if needed.
Eat small but frequent meals at regular intervals.
Avoid lying down immediately after a meal. A minimum of 2-3 hours should be lapsed after a meal.
Raise the head of the bed 6 to 8 inches by securing wood blocks under the bedposts. Just using extra pillows will not help.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.