Had pain in calf. MRI showed tumor located in soleus muscle. Told to do biopsy. What is it?

Oncologist
Question
My girlfriend had pain in her calf for 10 years. We had a MRI done and the doctor told us that it is a tumor. He said that it was located in her soleus muscle and told us we needed to do a biopsy. Now my question is how likely is it that it is a sarcoma. She has no other health issues. Can it be lipoma?
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Hi
As the pain was there for 10 years, we have to keep a possibility of benign (non cancerous) tumor. But lipoma is unlikely inside a muscle. There is a fair chance that it may turn out to be a sarcoma. A lot depends upon the characteristics seen on MRI. Can you share the MRI report with us so that we can guide you better? And of course the final diagnosis will be based upon the biopsy.

Warm regards.

Follow-up: Had pain in calf. MRI showed tumor located in soleus muscle. Told to do biopsy. What is it? 17 hours later
I attached the MRI report with some shots of the screen. Thank you again for your help in this. I really appreciate it.

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Looks more like benign

Detailed Answer:
Though the MRI scans have not come out well, going by the report and whatever I could make out from the scans it looks more like benign. But there is a finite chance of it turning out to be a sarcoma and hence I would strongly recommend a biopsy.