Had pain at the base of skull for few minutes. Any idea what it may be?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Three weeks ago, I had pain at the base of my skull on the left side. The pain lasted about 1 minute, mayb less. Since then, I have a soreness in the same area that comes and goes but is especially noticeable when I ly on my left side. It awakened me from sleep, a couple of nights. It seems to be a little better than it was. Any idea what it may be?
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
The pain at the base of the skull that lasted only 1 minute can be related to a muscle spasm in the area.
You can do a hot fomentation in the area and avoid using a pillow for relief. Applying a local analgesic gel on the area will also be helpful.
In case the pain persists for more than a week then consulting an orthopedician is advisable for stronger prescription medicines like muscle relaxants.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.