Had pain at back of neck, noticed lump on spine. What could it be?

Spine Surgeon
I woke up this morning with pain in the back of my neck and discovered a lump. The lump rest on spine. I do not know how long it has been there just that I notice the pain this morning. The lump is a little bigger than a quarter.
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need to be investigated

Detailed Answer:
this is significant swelling along the spine. Is it tender to touch? how does it feel? hard or firm or soft? any sudden increase in size?
I would suggest to consult a physician and get a thorough exam of the swelling. He will give you an idea about the origin. You may need to get ultrasound of the swelling. Thanks.
Follow-up: Had pain at back of neck, noticed lump on spine. What could it be? 10 minutes later
It feels firm. I havent noticed an increase yet. Do you think it could anything yo do with RA? I have been told before that I may have that.
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may not be related to RA

Detailed Answer:
RA usually affects joints and cause swelling of the joints. This swelling is not near the joint. Need to find out the origin of it. Ultrasound will definitely tell us more about it. Also get the blood counts, ESR, CRP and RA factor as well. Thanks.