Had ovulated from one side through Clomid. This time both ovaries release egg. Chances of twins?

I have 3 children, all through Clomid, and each time I ovulated from one side only.

I have had a check with my Gyno this morning and it looks like both ovaries are likely to release eggs within next 2 days (naturally this time, no Clomid).

Does this increase my chance of having twins, and if so, what are the stats? All babies are a blessing but I'm not sure I can cope with another 2 - does ovulating from both sides mean I will have twins or does it increase the odds?
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 1 hour later

In case of natural conception, the chances of having twin birth are 1 in 80 live births. This includes this natural multiple ovulation. If we assume that both of these ova are viable and both get fertilized, then chances are increased by 30% of normal chances.

We cannot say anything about viability and fertilization of these ova, but yes, risk of multiple pregnancy is increased in case of multiple ovulation.

Hope this information is helpful and informative to you. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Good luck.
Follow-up: Had ovulated from one side through Clomid. This time both ovaries release egg. Chances of twins? 4 hours later
Thank you - so to clarify, the chances of twins remain 1 in 80 even though I am ovulating from both ovaries... but if both ova are viable and fertilised the chance of increases to approximately 1 in 54?

I do understand we can't know for certain if I am releasing viable eggs or that they will both be fertilised, so this is based on an assumption of that.

Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 3 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

You got the right meaning of my explanation. I hope this will help you in planning your pregnancy.

Good luck.
For any further queries you can directly reach out to me on the following URL: