Had ovarian cyst. Prescribed depo provera. Missing period and having light pink bleeding. Any idea?

Question
My doctor prescribed me depo provera(the generic version). Because I had an ovarian cyst
I think it was supposed to generate my period because I hadn't one since February 2 2013
Now 6 days later I have a light pink bleeding but not really a period
Perhaps you can tell me why
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query on health care magic.

Intermenstrual bleeding is a very common side effect of depo provera.
This intermenstrual bleeding is due to decreased estrogen levels or imbalance in estrogen:progesterone ratio.
Depo contains progesterone. It is known to cause hormonal imbalance in the body.
It does not require treatment.
It will normalize in a months time.
I suggest you to continue with the same. There is nothing to be concerned about.

Hope this helps.
Feel free to ask if you need further clarifications.
regards,
Dr Nilofer

Follow-up: Had ovarian cyst. Prescribed depo provera. Missing period and having light pink bleeding. Any idea? 6 minutes later
Thank you for your prompt response

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 0 minute later
Its my pleasure.
regards,
Dr Nilofer