Had otitis externa in ear and prescribed with antibiotics. Having discharge from ear and slight hearing loss. Using otosporin ear drops. Advise?

hi, i had otitis externa in my right ear, it lasted for 6 to 7 weeks and i was prescribed 3 different anti biotics until it finally cleared up. I now have symptoms in my left ear including a continuous discharge from the ear. there is no pain and only slight hearing loss, the ear feels full but is not swollen shut as was the other one . i will not be able to visit a doctor until wednesday next atbthe earliest as i am aboard a ship. i have anti biotic ear drops available"OTOSPORIN EAR DROPS XXXXXXX is it advisable to use these, they are not to be used in cases of ruptured ear drum
Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it would be best not to use them

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Hearing loss and fullness of the ear can also be a symptom of otitis media which is infection involving the middle ear, though this infection is usually associated with ear pain.
In otitis media there is the potential for rupture of the tympanic membrane.

Otitis externa can also cause these symptoms.

Though the absence of pain makes it less likely to be otitis media, it would be best not to use the drops until this is confirmed by a doctor.

You must be careful and try to keep the ear dry. During bathing place a plug or cotton ball in the ear.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions