Had oral sex with stranger. Developed sore throat. Should I go for a throat swab test?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am a male who had a sexual encounter with another male on friday April 5, 2013. I gave oral to a stranger with a condom on. he did not ejaculate at all, we stopped after 5 minutes. I have been losing sleep worried I could have caught something. I am married so i am concerned. My wife and her parents have recently had a cold (before my incident) so they have scratchy throats and now i have one. I am just worried that I can pass something to her. I had a urine test done, today but now I understand it should have been a throat swab instead. Can you put me at ease and let me know if I am at high risk? Wife wants to have sex but I am scared to now until I know.

Should I schedule a throat swab as well?

Do you know of any clinics in my area (Houston, Texas) who do this at a resonable price, since I already am out 200 for the urine test.

Would it be safe to kiss my wife and have unprotected sex? (She is the only woman I have had unprotected sex with in my life. and vice versa)
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
Infection can be transmitted by oral sex and that is a fact. But, most common these are viral herpes and HPV infections. Less common clamydia,syphilis and gonorrhea. HIV and HEP B risk for transmission is almost negligible.
ALl these can cause throat infection and I suggest to do throat swab to find the exact microbe which can be treated by specific medicine.You dont need to have any symptoms, infection may still be there. There is no need for blood tests and HIV /HEP tests except you want to be 100% sure.
Why would you do urine analysis? there is no need for that. YOu can infect your wife when kissing, but try to do throat swab before this if you can. You can have unprotected sex but again, if you kiss her she will catch it from you.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
Follow-up: Had oral sex with stranger. Developed sore throat. Should I go for a throat swab test? 19 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Romic.

So even though the other man did have on a condom and my mouth did not touch his skin, i am still able to catch something? I am trying to find a clinic now that offers throat swab. So when you say no kissing, that means no tounge? is a simple peck of the lips bad to?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 39 minutes later
My apology. I thought it was unprotected oral sex. But if he used condom from the beginning till the end then all these chances of tansmission are much much less.
Even with condom it is always hard to be sure was there any contact between his genital area and your mouth or lips. So you should decide is it necessary to do throat swab,but i suggest you to do it just to be sure. yes, you shouldnt kiss her with tongue.simple kiss isnt risky. It is hard to avoid such kissing during the sex and you might wait for more than a week till thorat swab show results. You can take a chance and have sex and kisses with your wife. Herpes wouldnt be suspicous, but if she finds out that she has clamydia or gonorrhea throat infection it would be hard thing to explain her...
Follow-up: Had oral sex with stranger. Developed sore throat. Should I go for a throat swab test? 8 minutes later
Thank you again Dr. I am just worried of causing her any harm I feel horrible for being in this situation.

I know it is hard to determine, but what is the likelyhood that my scratchy throat is that of a cold, since they all have scratchy throats as opposed to gonorrhea or clamydia? I am getting a test tomorrow, I just dont want to infect her from tomorrow until I have my results. Also, is there anything I can take until I find out to begin treating it just in case? Also should we not be drinking from the same glass or eating from the same forks?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 19 minutes later
I understand your concerns.Of course, it is more possible that you have sore thorat caused by cold than by STD. STD pharyngitis would manifest more than 4-5 days after oral sex. Possibility that you have STD isnt high,really isnt, especially considering condom use.Call this guy and ask him about STDs.
Also, all these infections are treated easily and quickly by antibiotics or antiviral drugs. This isnt HIV or Hepatitis that you should be afraid of.
There is no purpose of taking anything when you dont know are you infected and which microbe is causative agent. Avoid using same glasses, dishes, spoons etc. Say your wife that you have cold or something.