Had oral sex with prostitute, ejaculated in the condom. Chances of having HIV ?

Dermatologist
Question
Dear Doctor,
I am a 38 year old male from Chennai. I had a oral sex given to me by a prostitute. She used the condom on my penis and performed oral sex. I ejaculated in the condom. There were no visible cuts or blood in the mouth of that girl. I want to know
1) if there is any possibility of contacting HIV.
2) Is there a need to go for a HIV test? If yes then which test and how many days after exposure
Posted Thu, 21 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 1 hour later
Hi!,

Thank you for posting the query,

I understood your problem however it would be good if you can answer few of my queries:
1) Apart from oral sex (with condom ) did you have sexual intercourse with out condom.
2) Did you have any cuts in penis or develop a ulcer on penis following this ?
3) Any constitutional symptoms like fever ,weight loss,cough , diarrhea etc ?

For your information, I would like to add that the main ways in which someone can become infected with HIV are:
-Unprotected penetrative intercourse with someone who is infected.
- Unprotected oral sex or anal sex with out condom with some one who is infected.
-Injection or transfusion of contaminated blood or blood products, donation of semen (artificial insemination), skin grafts or organ transplants taken from someone who is infected.
-From an infected mother to her baby; this can occur during pregnancy, at birth and through breastfeeding.
-Sharing unsterilized injection equipment that has previously been used by someone who is infected.

With the history what you have submitted there doesn't seems to have any exchange of fluid ,and therefore you should not be worried at all.Also to be infected the lady should have been infected ,the status of which is not known.So to answer your questions:
1) There doesn't seems to be any possibility of getting HIV infection in your case.

2) As such there doesn't seems to be any need of tests,but to alley all the anxiety you can get yourself tested .You can get the following test after about a month of exposure and repeat again after 3 months to be doubly sure.The two basic test carried out are HIV-ELISA TEST & WESTERN-BLOT TEST.
A PCR test detects the viral load in a HIV person, and that can be done even in a weeks time after exposure.

The chances of getting HIV infection from a infected partner in unprotected sex is only 0.05% .And in case of protected sex it further reduces by 80% .So, Condom is nearly 100% effective if there is no spillage or condom failure.
So I would suggest you to XXXXXXX a specialist and get investigated properly so as to get relived of all the apprehensions you have.

Hope I've answered your query,but if you have any further questions , kindly write back to us.I'll be available for your follow up questions as-well.

regards,
Dr.Bharat Chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.

Follow-up: Had oral sex with prostitute, ejaculated in the condom. Chances of having HIV ? 4 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thank you for your respose.
We only had oral sex and that too with condom. This exposure happened 04 days back.
I do not have any cuts on the skin of my penis. However there is a tiny dry grain which is since many years. There was no ulcer developed on penis post this incident.
No constitutional symptoms like fever ,weight loss,cough , diarrhea etc

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 5 hours later
Hi!,

Thank you for the reply,

According to your response there doesn't seems to be any exchange of fluid ,so you don't need to be scared of any infection.But just to allay your fear you can go for the test described in my previous reply.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

regards,

Follow-up: Had oral sex with prostitute, ejaculated in the condom. Chances of having HIV ? 17 hours later
Thank you for your reply doctor.

Please tell me if according to you there is a need for testing. I am getting lot of anxiety.

Also to let you know I also also suffer from OCD since last 15 years and taking medicines for that. Is this fear and anxiety due to OCD or there is a real HIV risk.

Please tell me if there is a slightest possibility of me catching the HIV infection after this exposure.

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 11 minutes later
Hi!,

According to the history you have given there doesn't seems to be any need of testing .But since you have a history of OCD ,which I suppose is responsible for your anxiety and fear.Apart from this I don't think there is any fear of HIV.But just to allay your anxiety you can get tested .

Hope I've answered your query.
Should you have additional concern regarding the same ,I would be happy to address it.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.