Had oral sex with prostitute, developed sore in mouth. Had ANUG and Trench mouth. Could it be related to HIV ?

I had sex with a prostitute. I used condom but I kissed her deeply(French Kiss). weeks later I found out that there is a sore in my mouth when I went to dentist!

after five weeks, I had Angina XXXXXXX or ANUG (Acute necrotizing ulcerative gingivitis) or Trench Mouth. I solved the problem but after surfing on net, I realized that there could be relation between HIV and ANUG. Please tell me what is the relation between them? this has really scared me. Some websites mentioned ANUG as a symptom of HIV :(((
Posted Wed, 20 Jun 2012 in General Health
Follow-up: Had oral sex with prostitute, developed sore in mouth. Had ANUG and Trench mouth. Could it be related to HIV ? 2 minutes later
I also should add I had fever those days and I cured trench mouth with penicillin!
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 23 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

I understand your concern.

It is true that acute necrotizing ulcerative gingivitis is strongly associated with HIV-AIDS. However, since you used a condom, it is unlikely that you are HIV positive. HIV AIDS does not get transmitted by kissing unless there are active lesions ( ulcers) in your mouth or the lady’s mouth.

I would suggest you get yourself tested for HIV using an ELISA. This needs to be done 6 weeks after exposure. If negative, repeat the test at 3 months and 6 months to confirm this. Since HIV has a certain window period ( that means it takes time for the antibodies to form), that is why I think you would have to wait another week before getting tested.

I hope that addresses your concern. I would be available for follow ups.