Had oral sex with a partner having HSV2. Tiny bumps appeared on genitals. Chances of contracting HSV2?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question

I recently engage in foreplay on 2 occasions with a girl that is HSV2 positive only she doesn't have hsv1 and never had a cold sore/fever blister (she had no visible outbreak and said she didn't have one before our encounter or since. I myself am assuming I am HSV1 due to the fact that I have had cold sores/fever blisters in the past. During the foreplay I touched her vagina and inserted sex toys inside of her, afterwards she performed oral sex on me. I did wash my hands a couple of times during this process of us going back and forth touching each other but not sure i washed every time and she never touched herself but may have held a toy. The first encounter was about about a month ago and the second was about a week. After the last time about a week ago the next day I became very paranoid due to the feeling or irritation anytime my underwear rubbed against my penis! It bothered me so much I switched from boxers to boxer briefs! I have been examining my penis almost 20 times a day and of late have notice a three very small tiny bumps, it's has been 5 days and after 5 days of poking, spreading, rubbing, and examining every couple of hours they look like they have become very tiny black pinholes. These are so hard to see that you have unless you spread the skin apart real wide and get close to them they are not visible. They are not red or look like blisters also they do not hurt and are only irritated if my boxers brush against them. Also my penis looks dry like it has no moisture, not sure if this maybe causing some friction issues. This is my first encounter with someone after my divorce, I was married 12 years with no symptoms. I haven't slept in days so I got tested Wednesday morning at Labcorp. Can a doctor please let me know what are the chances that I may have contracted HSV2 from this type of play? I should get my results back on Monday but I was wondering the chances so I could try and prepare myself.
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 59 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting you query.

The symptoms explained by you as sensations and irritation with trousers and inner-wears, tiny grouped bumps over genitals are more fit with Genital Herpes infection.

Your HSV 1 is unlikely to produce such manifestations on your genitals.
You both had no vaginal intercourse as such.
But your girl friend is already positive for HSV 2.

Without a recent episode also one can have prolonged viral shedding in case of Genital Herpes.
Moreover she might not be aware of an recent episode due to the anatomical structure of the female genital is like that.
During foreplay, handling sex toy and touching vagina and then your genitals make the possibility of HSV 2 infection. Another possibility is that she also would have a HSV 1 infection and it could manifest over genitals.

Laboratory investigations may not be 100 % reliable. But your physician could be able to guide you better.
Get well soon.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Had oral sex with a partner having HSV2. Tiny bumps appeared on genitals. Chances of contracting HSV2? 10 minutes later
Is it very likely that I could get hsv1 in the genitals if I already have it on the mouth? Also is it very likely to pass herpes from hand to genital contact, I know it is possible and that's why I went and had the lab work done but is it a high or low probability? I have already prepared myself for the worst and saw a doctor who said she really didn't see anything which is crazy cause I can see it, she did however provide meds as a preventative measure just in case which I have started due to having the 3 pin hole bumps. Just wanted to know if the probably of hand to genital was a high or low risk and if I could get hsv1 in the genital area after already having it on my lips

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 hours later
Welcome back with your feedback questions.

HSV 1 contaminated from mouth through hands is very low probability. Usually recurrence in HSV is very common, but usually around the original site not at a remote site because of neutralizing antibodies appeared in body. Why recurrence is common around the original site is due to the virus hiding in neural ganglion and reappear when the immunity goes down along the sensory nerves. Moreover HSV1 infection is more common among children and adults. But such a transmission to one's own genitals is not a common entity.
So a HSV 1 infection transmitted to one's own genitals from mouth through hands is unlikely.
Your physician will direct you for a fast cure.
Good luck.
Dr S.Murugan