Had oral sex, partner having epipididymitis. Should I take prophylactic antibiotic?

Hello!! Are you live and am I able to ask a question now? A guy I've had sex with called me and shared that he had epipididymitis. We did not have anal sex but did have oral sex. I am not showing any symptoms. Should I begin a course of antibiotics prophylactically?
Posted Tue, 2 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 37 minutes later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will provide you with some information and recommendations.

This condition is not considered contagious. In light of this there is no recommendation for prophylactic antibiotic therapy at this time. In the unlikely event that you develop symptoms please see your primary care doctor for a complete physical examination and further recommendations. Again this is extremely unlikely to occur and therefore no prophylactic antibiotics are indicated.

Thanks for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Dr Galamaga
Follow-up: Had oral sex, partner having epipididymitis. Should I take prophylactic antibiotic? 1 hour later
My friend told me his doctor has him on a course of 750mg Levofloxacin.  Other meds he takes regularly are Pantoprazole for mild GERD daily and biweekly testosterone shots. He has had cancer and has previously lost one testicle due to the cancer.
Hello Dr. Galamaga:

Thanks very much for your feedback. Greatly appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello again,

This is appropriate treatment for your friend. No treatment indicated for you.

Wishing you all the best.

Dr Galamaga