Had oral sex, having burning sensation inside penis. Given bactiflox. Chances of STD or HIV?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
hi doctor i had unprotected oral sex with a prostitute for maybe 10 seconds, then i wear condom and ejacuated inside condom. And i didnt have anal and vaginal sex. This was 16 days ago. I having already 2 week burning sensation inside my penis. The doctor gave me bactiflox 500 and ural sachets. It does help, but i still have the burning sensation inside of my penis. Please doctor tell me is it HIV or other std's?? I am very worried. And how much likely i get HIV or std from oral sex? And i want to know is that burning senssation inside penis is HIV symptoms.
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 48 minutes later
Hello
Yes, it is possible for either partner to become infected with HIV through performing or receiving oral sex, though it is a less common mode of transmission than other sexual behaviors (anal and vaginal sex). There have been a few cases of HIV transmission from performing oral sex on a person infected with HIV. While no one knows exactly what the degree of risk is, evidence suggests that the risk is less than that of unprotected anal or vaginal sex.

If the person performing oral sex has HIV, blood from their mouth may enter the body of the person receiving oral sex through

the lining of the urethra (the opening at the tip of the penis);
the lining of the vagina or cervix;
the lining of the anus; or
directly into the body through small cuts or open sores.
If the person receiving oral sex has HIV, their blood, semen (cum), pre-seminal fluid (pre-cum), or vaginal fluid may contain the virus. Cells lining the mouth of the person performing oral sex may allow HIV to enter their body.

The risk of HIV transmission increases

if the person performing oral sex has cuts or sores around or in their mouth or throat;
if the person receiving oral sex ejaculates in the mouth of the person performing oral sex; or
if the person receiving oral sex has another sexually transmitted disease (STD).
Not having (abstaining from) sex is the most effective way to avoid HIV.

Penile burning is a non specific symptom, and not diagnostic of HIV, but may occur in HIV also.
Have testing after 6 weeks to be sure, and do not engage in high risk sexual behaviour till then.