Had oral sex and protected vaginal sex. Taking off condom, vaginal fluid got into hands with cut. HIV?

Dec 2012

Hey doc I had a question I had sex with a sexworker.. And she gave me oral sex then after we had protected sex...after all that I grabbed my penis to take my condom off and there was vaginal fluid on it and by accident I got it on my hand I had a small cut it was like a day or 2 but healing is it possible I can get HIV?? And also right after that I went to the bathroom to wash my hands but there was only water and I still had vaginal fluids and in the process of washing my hands I washed my penis and am afraid some water mixed with vaginal fluid went in my uretha can I get HIV that way
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HIV is found in most body fluids

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

It is true that HIV virus is found in most body fluids such as vaginal fluid, blood, semens etc but the chances of them getting you infected with the virus is very slim. From the way you describe, I doubt very much if you will contract HIV that way given that it is a virus that can not live for more than 5 minutes in the outside especially if it is found only in vaginal fluid. First of all the sex worker has to be HIV infected to be able to transmit (that we do no know) but since it is always safe to assume that any other person with unknown HIV status is positive until proven orderwise, it is always good to be cautious.
I believe you maybe over reacting already and you need to be calm.
You will need to presently do your HIV serology test then repeat after 3 months (making sure that you do not engage in any unprotected sex or exchange body fluids). Saliva does not transmit the virus, so be rest assured.

Hope this answers your question and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: Had oral sex and protected vaginal sex. Taking off condom, vaginal fluid got into hands with cut. HIV? 10 hours later
OK so the way I described it do u think am negative in your opinion
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I do not think you will acquire HIV like that

Detailed Answer:

Personally I do not think you can acquire HIV infection like that. But you need to get a serology test now, then repeat after 3 months, that is the standard procedure for suspected exposure to the virus.
It is better to be safe now, then sorry later. At least you will be sure of your HIV status (as be rest assured that no one can always tell whether or not the virus can be transmitted to your system).

Hope this helps further
Dr. Nsah