Had oral sex and having bacterial vaginosis. Taste of the tongue has changed. Also having IBS. Suggest the treatment?

Hi Doctor

Two months ago I was prescribed antibiotics. I then had sex with my boyfriend. I was showing no symptoms of thrush or anything. During sex I performed oral sex on him and I noticed it tasted funny. We stopped. The next day I then had thrush from my course of antibiotics. I took care of it with a pessary. The next day my tounge was all slimy and white. I spoke to the pharmacist and she gave me an otc oral thrush medication. My symptoms persisted. I went to the doctor they agreed something is going on and they gave me nystatin for a week. No change. Then when I saw them again I got the pill that starts with an F for a week. It didn't work. I was then suggested by the doctor to have Cordsyl an antibacterial mouthwash for two weeks.. it helped a bit but not much. I then was given Nystatin for two weeks. I do think I had a bit of oral thrush as I got some bits from the saliva around my mouth but finally after all that I had two swabs and both were negative for cadida in my mouth. I also got a full STD/HIV check and it was negative for everything except bacterial vaginosis. I was treated vaginally for that condition. But my tounge has persisted. I have a slight altered taste. I drink up to three litres of water a day. I was told by the doctor at the sex clinic and my GP that bacterial vaginosis does not transfer to the mouth. I had my IGG's etc checked and there was no sign of infection. My doctor said the experience may have changed the state of my tounge and I have to live with it. I recently went to another dentist and he said yea its a bit hairy but if I didn't know the story I wouldn't have mentioned it. So basically some papallie have enlarged in the back of my tounge. Not the big ones that are already there and my tounge builds up through out the day if I am not on top of it. I asked my doctor if it would transfer if I had sex ie : get bacterial vaginosis again or mess with my partner.. now ex as this has caused me a lot of anxiety and the relationship subsequently broke down. Its not like I don't trust the doctors but my tounge has always been pink and now there is enlarged papillae and there are little red dots on the tip. Its a bit hairy but I think its from the amount of scraping so I am trying to be careful. It does not smell which I have observed as my dentist has. Its like the papille are white everywhere when I wash it, it is acceptable but like I said it builds over time during the day. I guess I am not prepared for it to be permanent. lol But I want to know the following... Is it possibile that I transferred bacterial vaginosis to my mouth. Bacteria is bacteria right? What is the proper testing I should get? What medications can I suggest to my doctor. Do you believe from what I tell you that I would be at risk of transfer anything to myself or my partner? Any further recommendations would be greafully appreciated. Maybe a miracle cure. Salt water makes the most difference. I am thinking of trying veg. glycerine and some other homeopathic medicines. I do have IBS/chronic Functional dyspepsia- possibly mild gastroparesis so some issues with malnutrition but I am very diligent to get my nutrients. I also have anxiety so yea Ive latched on to this a bit. Its been three months now its just going on for so long. What about hydrogen peroxide mouthwash? I don't think my health issues have a play in this as there was an act then my tounge was white.
Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The white patch on the tongue that you have is not likely to be due to candida as the culture has come negative. Vaginal candidiasis can cause an oral infection due to sex but it is not likely to persist for so long.
It can be due to vitamin B complex deficiency also. You can start with the proper supplements and get a biopsy done if the lesion is persistent.
Usually, it is nothing but dead cells and bacteria tied between the papillae. It mostly is self subsiding and needs a good tongue cleaner and plenty of water. You can also use a hydrogen peroxide mouth wash for relief.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Had oral sex and having bacterial vaginosis. Taste of the tongue has changed. Also having IBS. Suggest the treatment? 4 minutes later
Hi sorry doctor I don't feel like my question was answered. I do fell confident that there is no oral thrush present, if there was it would be gone by now due to my prescriptions.. I don't have a lesion, my whole tounge is white. Its like the papille are all white on my whole tounge and now it builds up every day if Im not on it. It was pink before and now its white and gets a build up. So can you review my statement again about my concerns since I was also diagnosed with BV. I also had all my bloods done and I am good for all. No vitamin deficiencies. I take magnesium 400mg a day, 1000IU of Vit D and a multicomplex B already.

Best wishes

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 46 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
I also feel that this is not due to oral thrush as the culture would have come positive in that case.
The proper diagnosis can be made after a biopsy which will help in detecting if there is any kind of infection present. This change can happen due to chronic irritation too. It is best to consult your dentist for a biopsy.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Had oral sex and having bacterial vaginosis. Taste of the tongue has changed. Also having IBS. Suggest the treatment? 9 hours later
Hi Doctor

Yes I know its not oral thrush now. I had some questions about BV and care in my original question about transfer etc. Could you please review my question again. As stated by my doctor he says that's the state of my tounge. So I understand you cant say if it is an infection without a biopsy but I want to know if bacterial vaginosis can be transferred to the mouth and if It can, can you infect a partner or re-infect your mouth/vagina.

Best wishes
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 hours later
Bacterial vaginosis cannot be transmitted to mouth. The chances of infecting your partner or re infection are very low. Avoid oral sex and kissing to reduce the chances further.