Had oral sex. Tested negative for HIV. Should I go for second test?

I performed oral sex on a girl of unknown hiv status and I got tested over 8 weeks after exposure ad it was negative. Should I go back for a second test? Also my penis may have came into contact with we vagina but it didn't penetrate at all.
Posted Sat, 17 Nov 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 28 minutes later
You should get retested at 6 months after exposure to be safe.
Oral sex transmission can occur, but chances are much lower compared to sexual intercourse. Also with penis-vaginal contact (without penetration), there is a very small chance of transmission, particularly if there were small sores (from whatever reason: either trauma, herpes lesions, etc). Chances are much higher with anal intercourse, but you did not mention any of that.
The fact that your HIV test was negative at 8 weeks is reassuring, but some people don't develop the "antibody" that makes the regular screening test for HIV positive for up until 6 months after exposure.
Please use protected sex if you don't know your partner HIV status. You are too young to run into big problems.
Hope that helped.
Follow-up: Had oral sex. Tested negative for HIV. Should I go for second test? 4 minutes later
I read from a lot of sources that a 6 week test is 99 % accurate. Is this false?
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 6 hours later
A six week test sensitivity is approximately 95%. This will also depend on the "generation" of the test you used. The newer the tests (4th generation) is the most accurate, because it detects some special HIV particles ("p24"). Some of the oldest tests sometimes only checks for HIV-1 (the most common in the United States) but not for HIV-2.
Even if you believe the accuracy is 99%, you don't want to be that 1%. Reasons to have a "falsely negative" result include:
-Being tested during the window period (when your antibodies have still not developed, and therefore the test won't be positive)
-Technical / lab error
-Inability to produce antibodies (immunoglobulin deficiency).
-Becoming infected with a rare HIV strain not picked up by routine ELISA HIV testing.