Ask a Urologist   »  

Had oral sex. Noticed white bumps around the base of penis. Proper diagnosis?

Question
Hello. I noticed these little white bumps on and around the base of my penis today. They do not itch or seem to cause any other irritation at the moment. I am 32 years old, and I've never noticed anything like this before. The only variables are that I received oral sex from a woman not previously known to me 5 days ago, and I've also recently started clipping my pubic hair, last done about a week ago. Can you diagnose this condition?
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 6 hours later
thanks for the query.

I have seen the lesions from the photos you have attached. The lesions appear as multiple small erythematous bumps at the base of the penis. There are three possibilities which i will discuss below.

1. fordyce spots: there are ectopic sebaceous gland common in both male and female genital areas. they do not pain nor itch and are not sexually transmitted. Various treatment options exist such as laser and electro-dessication.

2. Folliculitis: infection of hair follicles. In the second picture, i have the impression there is a redness at the base of one follicle which is in favor of folliculitis. Folliculitis is favored by forceful extraction of hair or shaving etc. Treatment involves use of topical antibiotics.

3. Viral infections: Viral infections could present as though but generally have a good prognosis with gentle skin care.

However, gently skin care could be sufficient in treating most skin conditions. What you should do is;
-get an antiseptic and clean twice daily
-avoid cutting or scrubbing
Viral and bacterial infections should be over within a few days while fordyce spots will be permanent unless appropriate treatment is given.

Hope i have answered your query. If you have more query, i will be glad to help.
Best regards