Had oral protected sex. Penis started feeling sensitive and frequent urination. Reason?

Excellent

Question
Hey doc,

I had oral protected sex about 10 days ago, and around the very end of the 2nd day my penis started feeling sensitive at the tip...It gradually got worse over the next 5 days, which then led to the whole penis hurting in the shaft possibly in the urethra tube which made me wanna urinate constantly, then for about a 1 1/2 days my testicles were hurting, then suddenly everything dwindled down to almost nothing...During that time I have had no discharge, no bleeding, no itching, no burning sensations, nothing out of the normal besides what ive described about with my testicles and penis...Please help to me to understand what I could be dealing with???
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Urinary tract infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,

Thanks for posting your question. I can understand your concern.

From your description, I do strongly feel that you have had a self limiting urinary/genital infection which was sexually transmitted.

The commonest sexually transmitted diseases are, genital herpes, gonorrhea, chlamydial infection, trichomonas infection, syphylis, and HIV.

If you have had protected sex, the chances of these are very minimal.

Even then I would suggest you to get yourself examined once by your doctor and get a basic set of tests done to find the exact type of infection.

In my practice, I would ideally ask for these following tests.

1. VDRL/RPR test for syphilis after 2 to 3 weeks of exposure.
2. Urine routine examination and urine culture and sensitivity.
3. Complete hemogram.
4. A Chlamydia test.
5. HIV ELISA after 3 weeks, 3 months and 6 months (HIV is not transmitted by oral sex generally, hence I am hesitating to suggest that).

If you don't get the symptoms again, you may just ignore this, it could possibly be just a viral infection which got cured on its own.

I hope this answers your question. Please do write back if you have further concerns.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had oral protected sex. Penis started feeling sensitive and frequent urination. Reason? 21 minutes later
Thanks for the prompt reply doc...

Just a couple more questions that I didn't ask before...

Could the infection have anything thing to do with the condom itself, maybe being too small or an allergic reaction to something? (I don't know what type it was...)

Also, maybe the person was just being too rough with both areas? I mean could that even be a possibility... I know it sounds silly, apologies!!

Is this common in alot of males at all?

Here is the silliest question of all...knowing that the mind is a powerful thing, could the constantly worrying and great anxiety be a contributing factor to possibly making it worse than what it actually is?? Is there any truth in that at all?? Again apologies for the dumb questions...

Once again thanks doc for all that you do...

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Allergic reaction to condom possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr. XXXX,

Thanks for the prompt followup.

There is nothing called a dumb question about health. Relax, I am more than happy to be helping you understand the issue.

Yes, the possibility of an allergic reaction to the condom can not be ruled out, which may have secondarily caused some mild infection.

The best thing is, now you have nothing, which means, whatever it was, it was self limiting, and might have been cured on its own. This generally the case with most of the infection we contract.

I do not think your worrying has made the issue any worse, because this particular problem you have had is not one of those that can be altered by stress or worry, so that should make you more happy and help you relax. (I know it is a paradoxical answer).

The person could have done it wrong, yes, that is a probability, again, I would like to stress, our mouth is harbinger of thousands of species of bacteria, viruses, which commonly are very useful for us to digest a lot of things, but rarely, one of them can become a little aggressive and that way can cause an infection in a different individual. This is what I think must have happened in your case.

I sincerely hope I have addressed your concern, but never mind asking me more questions if you need to.

Wishing you all the very best.

Warm regards,