Had operation on lumbar region. Getting severe pain. How to get relief from the pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Ive had two operation on lumbar regieon, last being fussion on 5 vertibrates L1 L5 etc. two day operation ! pain unlike anything I've ever had, six months now. Doctor sent me to a pain manament, now i'm a dope attic with pain. What can I do??
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Persistent back pain after repeated back surgeries is a difficult thing to treat.
In such cases, pain management involves use of opioid analgesics round the clock.
Try taking some good muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside with the routine painkillers you take. I am not sure if muscle relaxants are over the counter at your locality. You could perhaps check with the local chemist. Else you may need prescription. Along with it, do hot fomentation and apply a local analgesic gel on the area.
Few other options of treatment which may be useful in reducing pain and maintaining functional lifestyle are 'Transcutaneous Electric Nerve stimulation (TENS) units', relaxation techniques, occupational and physical therapy approaches.
If none of the above measures are helpful, pain specialists have used low dose tricyclic antidepressants, gabapentins or other anticonvulsants for modifying the intensity of perceived pain. This is also an option available which can be tried. Discuss with your doctors to prescribe the medications if needed.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.