Had open myomectomy, removing large fibroid on uterus. Thought to relieve back pain but not so. Suggest?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Question
Hello, I had an open myomectomy on April 23rd, removing a large fibroid located posterior on the uterus left side, and 2 others. I thought this would relieve my lower back pain, but it is now much worse! What could it be? What do I do? I feel so much pain, burning, taking my energy....help
I sleep on my stomach, have tried for years to sleep on my back...not sure if this has anything to do with my pain? But definitely it has gotten worse since my abdominal myomectomy.
Posted Sat, 27 Jul 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
I have some suggestions for managing your backache. In the short-term, for pain relief paracetamol and ibuprofen are usually helpful. Maintain your physical activity. Low impact exercises such as walking and swimming often help. Hot or cold compresses over the aching area can be tried. Muscle relaxant drugs such as diazepam can relax any muscles that may be in spasm. Your doctor would need to prescribe this. Your sleeping position will not have caused your backache but you could try lying on your side with a pillow between your legs. Or on your back with a pillow under your knees to maintain the natural curvature of your back.
In the longer term, your physiotherapist can recommend core muscle strengthening exercises. Acupuncture may be of help. Amitriptyline can be useful in treating some types of back pain.
Your myomectomy will not have caused your back problems. It is probably coincidence that your back worsened after surgery. Backache is a very common complaint in the general population.
I would suggest you try these options before looking at surgical options for your back.
I hope this has helped you. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger
MBChB FRCA

Follow-up: Had open myomectomy, removing large fibroid on uterus. Thought to relieve back pain but not so. Suggest? 18 minutes later
Hello Dr. Pottinger,
Thank you for your reply.
I do always try to sleep on my side with a body pillow between my legs, then I turn over.
Do you prefer Physiotherapy over Osteopathy or Chiropractic?
Is the cause of my pain the muscle spasm, and once that is treated over the long term, I will get better? It's really dibilitating, and I am worried because at some point, I have to return to my job as flight attendant, and it can be unbearable.

Thank you for your time, XXXXXXX

Thank you for your further question.
I tend to favour physiotherapy in order to build up your core muscles and provide strengthened support for your back. This is likely to benefit you as you spend long hours on your feet as a flight attendant. There is probably a significant component of your pain that is due to muscle spasm. This will be helped by stretching exercises that improve flexibility. There may also be an underlying disc or nerve root problem but in the first instance it is worth trying the conservative approach to see how much benefit this provides. If you are still suffering after a few weeks of these suggestions then you could discuss with your doctor about getting an MRI to identify anything that may require surgical intervention. Obviously, this is a major undertaking and would need a number of months off work.
I hope I have answered your further questions. Please contact me with any more questions.
Dr K A Pottinger
MBChB FRCA

Follow-up: Had open myomectomy, removing large fibroid on uterus. Thought to relieve back pain but not so. Suggest? 22 hours later
Thank you so much for your assistance!
I really appreciate the time that you took to help me in the right direction.
I truly hope I don't ever need another surgery again (have had 3 knee surgeries on my left knee, and this myomectomy).

Have a great day,
I wish you GREAT HEALTH TOO! XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 2 days later
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
Best wishes for your future health.
Dr K A Pottinger
MBChB FRCA