Had numbness on one side of body, muscle aches, hair loss and fatigue. MRI with signs of white matter

I have had numbness on my left side of my body and feeling of pains in my XXXXXXX organs on my left side. My muscles ache and are painful to touch , loss of hair and fatigue. I have had an MRI with signs of some white matter. My mother died of an neuromuscular disorder she died before they could specificly diagnose her they said it was a form of ALS or a siter disease to that. Is there a chance I might have something similar to her disease?
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
ALS may have a familial variety.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Weber,
Thanks for writing in.
Some Neuromuscular disorders including ALS may have a hereditary nature. So, as compared to general population you may be more prone to this type of disorder.
This surely doesn't mean that you will definitely get this disease. So, I think you should visit a Neurologist & share your history along with the family history with the doctor. You should also take his/ her expert opinion on the findings of MRI report. Your doctor will conduct a neurological examination on you to find out what exactly is wrong with you.
You should also check your blood pressure & thyroid hormone levels ( TSH) to rule out other possible diagnoses.
Wish you good health.