Had numbness in arms, unable to move. Told to be anxiety related. Suggest?

hi doctor,last night .got panicked as i woke up with a total numbness of my right arm cant move at all its just hanging like a rubber, no pain at all. as i sat down at my bedside, i have to use my left hand to lift because its too heavy. . its just lasted about 3 mins then it came back suddenly. thought im having a stroke. i experienced this before but the doctor told me its anxiety related as i had a history of panic attack diagnosed 8 yrs ago.
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 10 minutes later

Thanks for your health concerns. although you have a diagnosis of panic attacks we can not assume that these symptoms are psychosomatic and as you well point out, the possibility of what we call transient ischemic attack (tia, also known as mini-strokes or pre-strokes) has to be strongly considered and explored. you would benefit from seeing a meurologist promptly to see if further investigations (typically Mri or ct) or therapies (typically aspirin) are required

truly yours

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN