Had numbness and weakness in both arms with fast heart rate. Taking beta blocker. Reason?

Critical Care Specialist
I had numbness and wekness in both my arms then a heavy tongue along with fast heart rate 175 and high blood pressure. Went to the ER and had some heart test all were normal. Now I take 10 mg beta blocker
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 3 hours later

You are not clear what you want to know from us. I presume that you want to know the reason for fast heart rate and about the medicine you have been prescribed.

The common cause of fast heart rate and high blood pressure in young individuals is anxiety ( tension). Since your all basic cardiological investigations are normal, there is nothing to worry. Most probably anxiety could be the reason for your fast heart rate and high blood pressure. High blood pressure itself can give rise to fast heart rate. Such a fast heart rate can give rise to numbness, weakness and heavy tongue. It is important to monitor your blood pressure and heart rate regularly. If it recurs, the cardiological studies needs to be done again.

The beta blocker prescribed to you will control both your heart rate and blood pressure.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you have any more queries.

Dr Sadiq