Had norovirus. Getting bloody diarrhea. Is this normal?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
I feel like I had the norovirus 2 days ago all symptoms..also the diarreha was bloody. Is this normal? I feel better today..just tired..but the diarreah is still here and bloody.
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sheeba Stephen 4 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

From the description of your symptoms it appears that you are having a gastro-enteritis - which is an infection / inflammation of the digestive tract. Noroviruses are a group of viruses which can cause gastro-enteritis. They are often transmitted due to food poisoning. However, a persistent bloody diarrhea is uncharacteristic of a Norovirus infection. So, I feel that your diarrhea is unlikely to be due to Norovirus.

A bloody diarrhea can be caused due to other different types of organisms.
- Entamoeba
- Shigella
- Camplyobacter
- Certain strains of E. coli

In cases of bloody diarrhea, usually a further evaluation and antibiotics are required. Since your diarrhea is still persisting and bloody, and considering your age also, I feel that it is better to see a doctor, to get yourself checked and treated appropriately.

Also, keep drinking plenty of fluids in order to prevent dehydration. You can take Oral Rehydration Solution (ORS) frequently to replenish the water and salt losses due to the diarrhea.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen
Emergency Medicine Specialist