Had normal scan few years ago. Experiencing pain on side of abdomen. Should I be worried?

last chekup was a year ago indicating: left ovary volume is estimated at 10 cc(normal)
right ovary is prominant in size with an estimated volume 18cc and a dominant follicle measuring 1.8cm
i was recommended a follow up but did not do so because my Dr assured me its normal. I now experience some pain in my right side. should i be worried?
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 11 hours later

Thank for your query.

The scan done a year ago showing left ovary with 10cc volume and right ovary 18 cc is completely normal.

The pain you have now could be due to a new problem and unrelated to the scan readings a year ago.

Mild to moderate pain in the flanks can be seen normally due to ovulation and it is called Mittelschmerz. This happens due to irritation of the peritoneum by the fluid from the ovary which oozes after ovulation. The pain can appear suddenly and usually subside within hours, although it may sometimes last two or three day.

Well, there are many other causes for the pain in the flanks. A detailed physical examination and a scan can help.

I suggest you to get the scan (Pelvic Ultrasound scan) repeated to find out the exact cause for the pain you have.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there any other concerns.

Follow-up: Had normal scan few years ago. Experiencing pain on side of abdomen. Should I be worried? 3 hours later
thank you.. I do feel this pain from time to time which makes me wonder if there are other reasons other than ovulation. Also,I would also like to ask if this could be related to sexual intercourse in any way. I felt this pain yesterday after sex. Thank you for your time.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

No, I do not believe there to exist any relation between flank pain and intercourse.

Do get the scan done to know the exact cause for the pain.

Wish you good health.