Had non-penetrative sex. DNA PCR tests negative. Should I do ELISA for confirmation?

Psychiatrist
Question
hi doctor i had a rubbing of my penis against a sex worker vagina..it was not a penetrative sex..i egacuated then. after that i done a dna pcr afer 9 days. it was negetive.. then again i did a dna pcr after 50 days and it was also negetive..shud i do the elisa now for confirmation.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 45 minutes later

Important aspects of your query are:
•     25 year old male.
•     History of non penetrative sex with sex worker.
•     Worry related to HIV transmission and testing.

First and foremost, you need to know that Sex with every person does not cause HIV (even in case of sex workers, she has to be infected before she can pass it on to you). This information surely will reduce your anxiety.

Even in case a person has sex with an infected person, the chances of contracting the infection would be as follows.
A. Female-to-male transmission is 0.04% per act and ‎
B. Male-to-female transmission is 0.08% per act. ‎

In your case, you have non penetrative sex with sex worker, so chances decreases further.

The earliest test - that can be taken to detect HIV infection is the PCR proviral DNA test. This test can detect the HIV ‎DNA within 15-21 days of the infection.‎ The sensitivity of the test is 100% and is very accurate test.

The other test is ELISA which detects antibodies against HIV virus. The best time to do a ELISA test for HIV antibodies is after 4 weeks of exposure. 90% of normal ‎individuals who have HIV exposure, will seroconvert within 4-6 weeks. The sensitivity of the ELISA test ‎is 99.9%. ‎

If a test once done after 12 weeks of exposure - is NEGATIVE, the chances of developing antibodies to ‎HIV at a later date will be negligible. Hence there is no need to repeat the test again. ‎

As you already had done PCR after 50 days, you appear to be non infected with HIV. But if you want, you can go for ELISA test 12 week after exposure.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Follow-up: Had non-penetrative sex. DNA PCR tests negative. Should I do ELISA for confirmation? 28 minutes later
so doctor after a test of dna pcr that also 2 times i am surely negative..as the test is done at the reliance life sciences mumbai.

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 7 minutes later
Hello again,

Your first PCR was within 9 days (bit too early).

So, effectively one test is done. It is good that test is done from good lab.

Although you have least chance of having infection, but nothing is 100%. So you can go for Elisa after 12 week for reconfirmation.

Hope, this helps to solve your query. Wish you good health.

Regard.

Follow-up: Had non-penetrative sex. DNA PCR tests negative. Should I do ELISA for confirmation? 19 minutes later
sir my first test was at 9 days.. And again i had done a dna pcr at 50 days..i have done a dna pcr 2 times one at 9th day and other at 50th day...still i need a elisa?

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Hello again,

I understand that you have done 2 test, but first test was done very early (9days).

With 50 days PCR, you are almost infection free (99%). I mentioned in earlier reply that nothing is 100%.

You can remain tension free. If you have some doubt, then you can go for ELISA at 12 week.

Hope, this helps to solve your query.

Wish you good health.

Regards.