Had non hormone coil fitted after delivery. Started getting abdominal pain. What is going on?

Hi, iv just had a baby 7months ago and had a non hormone coil fitted 4months ago. Iv had two coils previously and had them for a while then my body rejected them! I fall pregnant really easily, iv become pregnant on the pill and the injection but only had one baby as I have miscarried a number of time! For the last two weeks iv started to get bad abdominal pain and for the last week has got worse, I'm also feeling sick alot of the time! As of today the pain has become alot worse! I also cannot feel the coil strings only something a bit hard! I live in England but Im currently in south Africa so was going to book an appointment when I got home but I'm not home for another two weeks and the pain has got so bad can you spread some light on what is going on
Posted Wed, 5 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 2 hours later
Hello. I'm Dr. Christensen. I'm sorry you're uncomfortable.

Unfortunately, it sounds like your IUD (coil) may have migrated upward into your uterus, where it has either embedded in the uterine wall or possibly even perforated the wall.

The fact that you can't feel the coil's strings suggests this could be the problem, rather than an inflammatory reaction to the copper in the coil.

This is a situation that warrants urgent evaluation; it should not be delayed for two weeks until you return home. I suggest you seek immediate medical attention. If your coil has become embedded (or if it has perforated the uterine wall), surgery may be required to remove it.

I hope that provides some guidance, and I hope things go well. I will be available if you have additional questions, but I strongly suggest you see a physician as soon as possible.

Good luck!