Had nocturnal seizure in sleep. Noticed sore jaw after waking up. Could this be a nocturnal seizure?

Hi there, I am not sure but I think I may have had a nocturnal seizure in my sleep this morning. I was falling asleep and seeing things moving in my vision with my right eye and then I fell asleep. I remember in my dream like I couldnt hear out of my right ear because in my dream i thought there was a bug in it like something was in it and I couldn't hear out of it. This is when I was still dreaming and remember also like laying in my dream and sleeping if that makes sense. I don't recall shaking or anything but when I woke up it was so hard to open my eyes and I have felt extremely exhausted the entire day so far since more than I ever have and just out of sorts kind of and some blurryness vision. I also woke up with my jaw on the right side really sore as well. Now I am also not in the best of health but my sleep has not been bad at all but I did wake up and then went back to sleep and then that is when it happened and when I first woke up I felt pretty good and I dont work right now either so no stress in that way. Could this be a nocturnal seizure? Also, if it is or even if it isnt can one seizure cause permanent damage to the brain and even though I am not in the best of health would I still be able to recover fully from this and how long does it normally take especially with the cognitive and memory stuff? Also, is it true that most of the time you can't remember what happened since because I can remember some specific aspects of my dream? Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate your help with all of this.
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Thanks for putting up an elaborated query, what I can work out about your status of health is you are feeling tiredness of no cause, you had a vivid dream during which limiting symptoms related to eye-blurred vision, ear- decreased hearing were felt.

I am pretty sure you do not have seizure/epilepsy.
Mostly persons affected with fit do not recall much of the finer details of the event.

I think you are having somatisation, related to anxiety/subconscious stress.

Please have a visit to a psychiatrician to resolve this issue.
Still if the doubt of epilepsy haunts you which I think is not the case, you can get an Electroencephalogram done to rule it out reasonably.

I hope that answers your query.
Follow-up: Had nocturnal seizure in sleep. Noticed sore jaw after waking up. Could this be a nocturnal seizure? 52 minutes later
Hi Dr. Choudhary,

Thank you for the response and detailed response as well. I just have a few more questions if that is alright.

I hope this isnt it and from what you said yes I dont think it is either but I still would like to know just in case if it was a seizure can one seizure cause permanent damage and how long would it take to make a full recovery if that is possible? Also, regarding an EEG, isn't it sometimes they may not show anything and be normal and you can still have had a seizure/epilepsy?

I just felt like I couldnt move either for a sec but more so that I couldnt open up my eyes even though I was awake and never felt so disoriented and exhausted like I did the entire day from it and I still am and I was so out of sorts and felt like I could sleep any minute and could barely keep my eyes open all day when I never have felt like that.

So you are saying because I can remember alot of it that it probably wasn't it right?
Sorry, just trying to understand thats all.

Sorry to bother you again.

Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 6 hours later
Welcome back,
One seizure can cause permanent brain damage but that is extreme rarety.
A seizure which is continued for more than 30 minutes called status epilepticus is such a variety of seizure which results in brain edema and death of neurons.
But that is a rare possibility to have permanent damage even in status epilepticus.
The deficits of memory are transient and usually full recovery occurs within a week.
EEG is positive in 40% of epilepsy patients only.
You need to repeat it if symptoms persist and in that case an MRI Brain is also worthwhile.
I think that answers your query.