Had nervous breakdown. Suggestions

Dec 2014

well I have been waiting for a answer but I had one nervous/mental breakdown 30 so years ago and I did not know at the time it would come back on my because my breakdown blocked everything including things before the breakdown and the breakdown, it was real bad. I think my subconscious mind did that took protect my mind from the shock. I never new it would do that to me 4 times in my life and when it did you cannot think, you do not
entirely know whats taking you out. If you don't get help from your parent, no one else will. I did face the breakdown down 5 years ago,but thats hell and when I did I didnt remember it taking me out. So I didn't know, so
I didn't realize that my psycharist just gives out medication thats all they do. They really don"t know much about breakdowns and they use one size fits all. I go to a cbt therapist,but I thought you could get comfortable with a breakdown and you cant and now I get scared of getting caught up in it and thats a fear with what mind mind went too. How do I get over that fear?
Posted Sat, 1 Jun 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

You had episodes of nervous or mental breakdown. Most likely the episodes occurred as a part of either panic disorder or episodes of acute stress reaction. The episodes results in severe anxiety and fear which result in avoidance reaction in any individual which result in generation of anticipatory anxiety. The fear in your case is nothing but anticipatory anxiety. The anxiety is causing stress to you.

You are taking cymbalta or duloxetine which is a nice medicine for anxiety and depression. It can control anticipatory anxiety. But apart from this there are other medicines like SSRIs as Fluoxetine, Paroxetine, Sertaline etc which can be taken and are more effective and safe.
You have visited CBT therapist and I would advise you to continue CBT sessions as they will help to control anticipatory anxiety. Apart from that try relaxation exercises especially Progressive Muscle Relaxation Exercises, Breathing Exercises, Yoga etc methods. These will help to boost your confidence and improve you day to day life.

Hope it helps, if you have more questions you can ask again.
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD