Had nephrotic syndrome. Developed IBS. Gained weight and started smoking. What triggers the symptoms?

I had nephrotic syndrome when i was 12, im 32 yrs old now and symptoms are starting to come back. I'm not sure what triggers it?! I have also developed IBS in the past yrs I was worried that they r connected.

The only change is that I gained weight and started smoking in the past 2 yrs, I was worried those may be triggers?
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I am afraid nephrotic syndrome actually is not connected to IBS. IBS is a functional gastrointestinal tract disorder, and not an organic disease as is the case with nephrotic syndrome.

Smoking is a trigger of nephrotic symptoms is HIGHLY UNLIKELY. Triggers or nephrotic symptoms are generally infection or use of specific toxic drugs. The fact that you have been gaining weight, especially if you are experiencing any swelling (usually face and the lower limbs in the beginning) could be due to the kidney lesion (nephrotic syndrome) usually causing fluid retention and a consequent weight gain. It you have had any recurrent infections lately or taken particular drugs in the past that have toxic effects on the kidneys, these could be the triggers of nephrotic syndrome.

It is important to note that even without triggers, it is noted that the syndrome might evolve with flares (comes and goes on its own at times without any attributed cause).

Its urgent for you at this point in time to consult a nephrologist. First to undertake tests to actually ascertain the degree of the syndrome (urine and blood proteins, cholesterol, blood pressure, serum electrolytes, complete blood count and an abdominal ultrasound to detect the size of the kidneys). This is important to be on the safe side for any development of chronic kidney disease, hypertension, anemia and lipid disorders which are all associated with longstanding or poorly treated nephrotic syndrome. Depending on the case, the severity, and response to initiated treatment, a kidney biopsy might be asked at some point in time.

While waiting to have an appointment with your nephrologist, a good diet, reduced protein diet, XXXXXXX vegetable and fruit diet, reduce amount of water in case of oedema and an active life (exercise) could be helpful in managing the IBS.

I strongly suggest you consult your nephrologist, and IBS and nephrotic SYNDROME are NOT connected.

Thanks and hope this helps,

best regards,
Bain LE, MD.