Had negative MRI scan for urethral cyst. On antibiotics and have infected skenes gland. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
i had a MRI scan for a urethral cyst which came up negative, i am on antibiotics and have been for some time the problem is i have a infected skenes gland and it not being picked up by the urologist will a camera up the urethra pick it up if i am on antibiotics and is sort of calm
Posted Thu, 1 Aug 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 57 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it remind me that we had a thread of discussion on this issue last month.

Skene's glands is analogue of prostate gland in males and located between urethra and anterior vaginal wall very close to urethral opening but not in continuity with lumen of urethra.

You had infection of one of the glands very recently and have been taking antibiotics to control infection of the skene's gland which has helped in to control the infection.

Most likely the size of the gland has reduced considerably and that is the reason it is not palpated by hand on clinical examination and even not detected in MRI...
.
Since this gland is not a part of urethral lumen It can not be viewed during endoscopic examination (Urethroscopy) even with endovision camera.

It is the cyst of this gland which occurs due to blockage of its duct that can be palpated on clinical examination.as small lump in anterior vaginal wall very close to opening of urethra.

Since the infection has subsided with antibiotics do not worry at all and just monitor for any recurrence in future.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Had negative MRI scan for urethral cyst. On antibiotics and have infected skenes gland. Suggest? 1 hour later
it hasnt resoved totaly i am still in pain and sore. the antibiotics have killed the fever but still cant sleep with my husband and i have good and bad days. the urologist is putting a camera up there tomorrow. what is skienitis. how can i show these people that this is sore and irratated?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 20 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for follow up.I do understand your concern and sufferings.

Skenitis is inflammation of the Skene's gland mostly due to bacterial infection.

Please do write again about findings of Urethroscopy by your Urologist.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Had negative MRI scan for urethral cyst. On antibiotics and have infected skenes gland. Suggest? 5 minutes later
will this still show up in the Urethroscopy

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 12 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for fresh query.

It is unlikely that it will be detected on Urethroscopy as in endoscopy only the lesion in the lumen or wall of of urethra is visualised.

Any way please go ahead and get it done there is chance of visualization if opening of the duct of Skene's gland that opens in urethra is widely dilated .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Had negative MRI scan for urethral cyst. On antibiotics and have infected skenes gland. Suggest? 2 days later
I had the camera put up the urethra and the findings were that there is a squamous metaplasia of the trigone, and presant around the R and L UO what does this mean i see her again in three weeks

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
Hello
Thanks for writing again.
Squamous metaplasia is transformation of transitional cells of lining of the bladder in to squamous cells due to infection of the bladder and has no clinical significance and common in females.Normally it gets resolved spontaneously.and taking antibiotics.

As I have mentioned in my earlier comments Skene's gland cyst that you were curious to know about is not visualised in cystourethroscopy .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.