Had neck fusion. Having sharp pain near brain stem and back of spine. How to get relief?

Spine Surgeon
I had a neck fusion, 3 levels, vertebraes are now misaligned and neck is throbbing. Additionally, i have off and on pain near the brain stem and sudden sharp pain that runs down the back of the spine. The surgeon told me that there is not much he can do. The only way I can describe the pain is, 'a mouth full of root canals' that have gone so very bad. Thank you. XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 3 hours later

You had three level fusions, which levels? Neck pain is usually due to degenerated disc and facet joints in spine. I need to know what the status above and below the fused levels is.

Please tell me more details of the pain.

Constant or episodic? Any radiation to arm? What aggravates? What relieves the pain? Associated tingling or numbness in arm or legs? Do you have any imbalance while walking? Any trouble with urination? If possible, please upload your X-ray and recent MRI images. You have a feature to upload the reports/images by yourself on the right side of this query page. Please utilize it.

Few things I want to see - Is there you nerve compression? How bad are the facets/discs? What is the status of the levels above and below the fusion? Usually if anterior surgery does not help then we may go to back of the spine to decompress the nerves and carry out fusion in the back as well.

Please get back with above information. Thanks.