Had nasal injury and nose bleeded. Now nose is not symmetrical and have breathing problem. Suggest?

ENT Specialist
i had a nasal injury some years back and my nose bleeded at that time but we didnt go to any doctor but now at age 22 i find my nose not symmetrical as left part is shorter than right and i have breathing problem from one part of nose. i heard about nasal septum deviation and wanted to know about that and i wanted to know what would be cost of septoplasty
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Your nasal problems may be related to your old nasal injury, however there are many people who have a Deviated Nasal Septum (DNS) and nasal obstruction without any such history.

2. No one has a perfectly symmetrical nose, however the correction of a DNS may help in straightening the nose. Any other changes would require an operation known as a Rhinoplasty.

3. More importance should first be placed on nasal function. Get a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) done before any Septoplasty (correction of the DNS). Commonly there may be other nasal problems such as hypertrophied turbinates, enlarged air cells in the nasal turbinates, septal spurs among others which also need to be corrected along with the DNS. Otherwise the desired nasal function may not be achieved (if these problems co-exist).

4. Both these operations may be combined or done separately. The cost of a Septoplasty may vary from 20k to 60k and a Rhinoplasty may double the cost Final cost will depend on a number of factors such as type of room, number of days in the hospital, actual cost of implants, materials, tests, medication and so on.

5. If you can share the CT images, I will be able to able to give you an accurate assessment. Close up images of the nose from front, side profile and below are the standard way of discussing the external shape of the nose.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.