Had nasal cannula inserted during a colonoscopy. Sneezing after removal. On synthroid. What is going on?

I had a nasal cannula inserted during a colonoscopy, immediately after its removal, I began sneezing and having a runny nose. No, the only "drug" i take is synthroid and have never, ever experienced a runny nose unless I had a cold to go with it and I do not have a cold. It has been relieved somewhat by using a netti pot, but I am mystified about how a cannula could cause such a thing. In my research, I have found that oxygen users have a similar issue with a cannula.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later

Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX

After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Cannula can cause common cold. However it subsides most of the time by itself.

2. Nettipots basically cause nasal irrigation most useful in sinusitis.

3. The cannula could have been a source of infection if it was not replaced after use in the previous patient. Also humidifier of the oxygen delivery circuit is a cause of hospital acquired infection.

4. Meanwhile you could take antihistaminic tablet like tb. levocetrizine 5 mg at bed time and a decongestant tablet. That should help you symptomatically.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra