Had my bone mineral density test. Is it normal?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I'm 81 and have a BMD score of T minus 2.5 in one of my hips about 5 years ago, my second BMD, for which I took a biphosphonate for about 4 years. In light of JAMA's recent article 2013 Sep. 25: 310:1256 suggesting too many BMD's are done (like every 2 years), and don't change treatment, what do you think? Thanks for your answer! XXXX
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer: It is valid for untreated patients only Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. A BMD score of T at minus 2.5 is suggestive of osteoporosis. The repeat test is not very beneficial for those who are not taking any treatment for this. You have taken bisphosphonates for 4 years. This should reduce your bone resorption and a repeat test will help in regulating the further dosage . The article specifies that all the untreated cases were taken up for the study. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.