Had muscular cramps and spasms in foot and shoulder. Suggestions?

Jun 2015

I often wake up at 3.00 am in the morning.
Last night, I had some muscular cramps and spasms at my right foot and right shoulder. Would you have any suggestions ? drink more water ? take magnesium ? ( but I took a multivitamins just before bed) ? change shoes ?
I also keep sneeze at least 4 times perday . I keep washing the bedroom (even walls) but still sneezing at times . Any ideas ?
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Kindly view the details

Detailed Answer:

A. Regarding the cramps & spasms as mentioned in your post, kindly let us know about the following:

1. Any recent history of wear & tear or injury?
2. Any history of systemic disease like Diabetes, Hypertension, Hypo/Hyperthyroidism?
3. Lack of adequate hydration, proper nutrition & good sleep?
(In your post you have mentioned about waking up at 3.00 am in morning. Is it your daily schedule or you are suffering from sleep disturbance?)
4. Any emotional factors like stress/tension?
(It can also lead to such symptoms)

If your answer to the above mentioned questions is NO, then the symptoms can be attributed to muscle spasm either due to incorrect sleeping posture or deficiency of certain essential nutrients in your diet.

Please continue the multivitamins you are using, take good rest, maintain adequate nutrition & hydration status and avoid stress.
Symptomatic relief can be obtained by intake of anti spasmodics like Dicyclomine preparation (to be taken after food) & application of muscle relaxant gel.

If symptoms still persist after 15 days, you need to get certain investigations like MRI of the right shoulder & ankle joint (to rule out any pathological cause for the symptoms) & estimation of serum electrolytes (sodium, potassium, calcium).

B. Sneezing can be attributed to the hyper responsiveness of your respiratory tract to certain allergens.
Symptomatic relief can be obtained with anti histamines like Allegra (for acute attacks) & Montelukast preparations (as maintenance therapy)
Also make sure that you keep yourself protected from cold, dust & other allergens.
If symptoms still persist, you need to undergo certain investigation like complete blood count with absolute eosinophil count.

Wishing you a good health.