Had mouth ulcer. What could cause this? Suggest health tips to avoid mouth ulcers?

Recently i had mouth alcer. Sometimes it will come repeatedly. Can you suggest some natural way of avoiding this or what would be the root cause and health tips to avoid mouth ulcer

Posted Sun, 7 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your query,

Mouth ulcers or oral ulcers could be because of various reasons.Generally mouth ulcers are due to some repeated trauma on the mucosa of the mouth like biting of the teeth,using tooth brush incorrectly ,sharp tooth,filing , hot food or beverages etc.The other could be apthous ulcers which have no specific reasons to occur.These are also known as canker sores.Stress ,anxiety ,hormonal changes (in females) have a role to play.These can also be associated to certain diseases like Iron deficiency ,Coeliac disease( due to intolerance to protein in diet like wheat,rye & barley) ,Chron's diesase( ulcers in stomach and mouth),Behcets disease( associated with painful mouth ulcers ,genital lesions & arthritis) etc.

Certain food which can lead to mouth ulcers are peanuts,coffee,almonds cheese etc.

Smoking can cause and aggravate mouth ulcers.

Certain medications like anti hypertensive drugs, pain killers etc can also lead to mouth ulcers.

Mouth ulcers are also seen in certain infections like herpes virus infection .

Certain tips to avoid mouth ulcers are:
Use a soft tooth brush.
Avoid foods which can promote such ulcers.
Avoid hard & spicy foods.
Reduce your stress level by doing yoga ,meditation or exercise.
Specific disease needs to be treated alongside.

Oral ulcers can be treated by using medications like Antimicrobial mouth washes .Chlorhexidine gluconate is the most commonly prescribed mouthwash.
Hydrocortisone oral paste can be used twice or thrice daily over the lesions.
Vitamin B complex should be taken orally for long .A topical analgesic (e.g. benzydamine mouthwash) may reduce pain.

In such cases we usually prescribe Tantum mouth wash twice daily( needs to be diluted and used) & Kenacort oral gel thrice a day application .We also use gels like Orahelp gel or Gelora gel or Oraflora gel topically to help heal the lesions.However I would advice you to consult a skin specialist for detailed examination and treatment.This would need a detailed physical examination.

You can prevent mouth ulcers by taking care of your health ,teeth and gums.

Try have a healthy life style .Eat balanced foods,exercise regularly & avoid smoking & fast foods.Avoid having spicy and acidic foods. Good dental hygiene is a must.A good 7 hour sleep is a must in night.

Hope I've answered your query.
Should you have additional concern regarding the same ,I would be happy to address it.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.