Had molar extracted. Have sinus problem and tingling sensation all over face. Taking antibiotic

ENT Specialist
Two years ago I had a molar extracted on the upper left side, to this day I still have sinus problems and tingling all over my face, and generally don't feel well. Have taken so many antibiotics and antihistamines, but nothing works. Can you help me? Tell me where to get help, my dentist says its not his problem, I have been to an oral surgeon he said there is no hole in my sinus, but I know something is not right.
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 40 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query

I do understand your concern behind this issue. Do not worry! I will try my best to give you the right advice.

Many a times extracted molars can cause sinusitis due to retrograde spread of the infection from the oral cavity into the adjacent maxillary cavity through a dehiscence in the floor of the sinus. If this happens the issue will be mainly related to the ipsilateral (on the same side) sinus rather than involvement of all the other sinuses.

My advice to you is to get a CT scan of the nose and paranasal sinuses done at the earliest and post the images to me. I will go through the images and guide you accordingly.

Meanwhile, you can try the following:
1. Drink plenty of warm water - this keeps the tissue hydrated and opens the congested sinus ostia.
2. Use saline nasal spray 3-4 times a day followed by steam inhalation. Both the former and the latter cause nasal decongestion and relieves the sinus blockage.
3. Avoid coffee/smoking/alcohol for few days.

Revert back to me once you get the investigations done.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon