Had moderate lower rib pain. Noticed small nodules under skin. Have severe osteoporosis and osteoarthritis. gout?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I've had moderate to severe lower right rib pain for over five years now. It has got to the point of completely debilitating me. I have to be very careful how I sit and sleep or it will further aggravate. Today, I noticed small nodules under the skin in the affected area. Could this be gout? Also, I have severe osteoporosis and osteoarthritis in my shoulders and hips. I'm falling apart.
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The pain in the ribs with the appearance of the small nodules is likely to be due to osteoarthritis rather than Gout. The osteoarthritic changes in the ribs do cause such a chronic pain.
You need to start taking mild pain killers, calcium supplements and do a hot fomentation in the area of pain for relief. Applying a local analgesic gel will also help.
I also encourage you to consult an Orthopedician for a specific treatment of osteoporosis.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Had moderate lower rib pain. Noticed small nodules under skin. Have severe osteoporosis and osteoarthritis. gout? 21 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Tayal. Tomorrow I will follow up with my doctor. That makes sense given my history.

Please have a great day!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 minutes later
Thank you.
I am glad I could help.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards