Had mitral valve prolapse, agoraphobia. Felling anxiety after smoking marijuana. Sure for panic attacks?

Hello, It all started about a month ago. I smoked marijuana and then had a severe panic attack. I am 22 years old female 5"9 200 pounds. I was told I had mitral valve prolapse years ago by my doctor, but then when I had an ultrasound of my heart the cardiologist said no. I've had blood work several times. Plenty times actually. But the only thing that was show was a positive XXXXXXX reading but then I was tested again it didn't show one. I have been bedridden because I feel like my heart is pounding out of my chest when I stand. It scares me I also have severe anxiety and recently quit smoking when this started. For the last two days I've been having pains in my left side under my rib cage, I also feel short of breath, but the shortness of breath has been since I've quit smoking. I also have agoraphobia. I am seriously worried about my health but I am also depersonalized and scared to go to the doctor again. I have multiple panic attacks a day. I am severely depressed as well. And I am convinced that I have something seriously wrong with me. I would like to know your best advice and thank you.
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 6 hours later

Thanks for using healthcare magic forum.

I have gone through your history.

As cardiologist has ruled out cardiac causes, your symptoms can be attributed to panic attack with severe anxiety and agoraphobia with depression.

Grade 1 nicotine or caffeine if any.

You should consult psychiatrist for detailed evaluation and management.

Doctor may rule out other causes like thyroid dysfunction, clonazepam or lorazepam and anti depressant drugs like peroxetine or sertraline. You may get prescription by consulting psychiatrist.

Meanwhile you can do yoga, meditation and breathing exercise for better control of anxiety.

I hope I have addressed your concern.

Feel free to revert to me in case if you have any query.

I hope you will be fine soon.

Follow-up: Had mitral valve prolapse, agoraphobia. Felling anxiety after smoking marijuana. Sure for panic attacks? 2 hours later
are there any tips you can suggest in order for me to be able to leave the house due to agoraphobia?
Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 4 hours later
Thanks for reverting to me.

To get out of agoraphobia, first you need to control your anxiety by means of drugs, counseling and yoga or meditation.

Once anxiety gets reduced, start going out with some friend or relatives for a short distance.
Constantly try to reinforce your mind that you have started improvement.

Gradually increase the distance and include every place.

After you can control phobia, follow the similar method while alone.

With the help of drugs or counselling, you can reduce your phobia with ease. Then gradually we can taper the dose of drug.

I hope I have addressed your concern.

Feel free to revert to me in case if you have further query.

If you do not have any query, please close the discussion and rate the answer.