Had missed period, HPT came positive. Got period, blood test suggests there was no pregnancy. Is it possible?

I have missed my period for 3 weeks and i had 3 home pregnancy test done which were positive and a blood work my doctor had done which he said was positive.. today i had my period went to emergency room and they only did blood work which she said was negative and i was never pregnant!! Is that possible???
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 41 minutes later
Hello I would be happy to help you.

When was the blood test that said you were pregnant?
What was the first day of your last period (not the one you just got)?
When exactly was the blood drawn in the ER?

Please provide exact dates.
Follow-up: Had missed period, HPT came positive. Got period, blood test suggests there was no pregnancy. Is it possible? 58 minutes later
Hello My first day of previous period was on FEbruary fifteen which lasted a day which is not normal for me! I am regular person, i never loose periods and i have my fulll 5-7 day periods. since February i did not have my period until today.. so i did 3 test at home with positive results and i had blood work done on 4/3 my doctor called and congratulated me on 4/4 saying i was pregnant. so today i had my period went to emergency room. they only did blood work done and she said it was negative and it was a false positive. which i think is a weird coincidence for me to miss my period that ling for the first time and having positive tesst results!! Thank youo for responding!!
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 11 hours later
Hello and thank you for the followup and I am sorry for the delay.

First of all, it is unfortunate that an ultrasound was never done, because the dating of the pregnancy will remain uncertain until this is done in many cases. Normally we date a pregnancy based on the first day of your last period, but even this day is in question. But for the sake of argument, lets assume it was 2/15:

1. If you were pregnant RIGHT NOW, you would be 7 2/7 weeks along
2. That means you were 6 5/7 weeks along at the time of the first blood test
3. Lets not forget that you had 3 POSITIVE home tests AND a blood test in the office that said you were pregnant
4. If you were / are that far along and miscarried, then HCG levels would stay positive for probably at least 2-3 weeks.

So, either you and your doctor had a total of FOUR false-positive test results, or the ER lab screwed up the specimen. (It is also possible that you were pregnant but not as far along as you thought you might be.) I think that this needs to be sorted out in the following way:

1. You need a QUANTITATIVE HCG level drawn, and someone needs to review the number with you
2. You need an ultrasound regardless of these results

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have additional questions.