Had missed abortions and performed DNC. Then failed IUI and IVF. How to improve sperm DNA integrity?

Infertility Specialist
Question
hi
how to improve sperm DNA integrity. it is 57%
I had two missed abortions by natural conceiving and performed DNC.
Then 2 failed IUI. And again 1 ivf failed with fresh embryo and 1 failed with FET.
Give me succession what to do.
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 43 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Sperm DNA intigrity more than 30% is normal. So no need to worry for that.
Few of the ways to improve sperm quality are
1. Don't wear tight underwears, it will increase testicular temperature & reduce DNA intigrity.
2. Don't sit or stand for prolonged time.
3. While taking bath use cold/warm water instead of hot water to wash genitalia.
4. Eat healthy diet XXXXXXX of antioxidants & especially fruits & dry fruits. You can also take antioxidant tablets.

Missed abortion can occur due to many causes, sperm DNA intigrity is only a minor cause of abortions. If you have not already done, you can consult gynecologist/infertility specialist for detailed investigation for the cause of recurrent abortions.

Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had missed abortions and performed DNC. Then failed IUI and IVF. How to improve sperm DNA integrity? 39 minutes later
first sac report says that baby has trisomy 16 problem, 2ND sac report say XXXXXXX syndrome. Dr. says it is problem with sperm, because they did all my test. every thing is negative. in some sperm reports says that normal morphology is 10%, in some report t is 19%, in some it is 12%. DNA fragmentation intigrity is 57%. in report it is mention that if DNA intigrity is more then 45% it is very poor. pregnancy ll lead to miscarriage.

Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 2 hours later

Welcome back.

Regarding sperm morphology, if semen analysis is done according to WHO 2010 criteria, morphology of >4% is considered to be normal.

Sperm DNA fragmentation & DNA integrity are different things. More the fragmentation, less is the integrity (meaning more DNA is damaged).

As I told previously, keeping testis at lower temperature & eating healthy diet (as advised before), might reduce DNA fragmentation. There is no specific treatment.

If there is a specific cause for the DNA fragmentation like infection, varicocele or hydrocele, you can get it corrected to improve semen quality. You can consult (get examined by) infertility specialist/ andrologist/ urologist to find out the cause & if no cause is found you can try the general advice given to you.

One more way to get healthy pregnancy with this type of sperm problem is to try ICSI with advanced sperm selection techniques like pICSI OR IMSI. These techniques are used to select normal sperm during IVF/ICSI. You can consult your IVF specialist for further advice regarding use of these techniques.

Out of the two: pICSI can be made available almost anywhere, while IMSI requires costly setup & will be available in select centers of Metro cities.

I hope you got the desired information.

Let me know if you have other concerns.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had missed abortions and performed DNC. Then failed IUI and IVF. How to improve sperm DNA integrity? 4 hours later
they did imsi only. 4 a+ grade and one A GRADE. conceiving has happend both the time but again after 6 week miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 10 hours later

Welcome back.

The option in your case is to repeat IMSI & do preimplantation genetic screening (PGS) of embryos & transfer only genetically normal embryos back in uterus.

In PGS, one/two cells taken from embryos & they are analysed for genetic abnormalities.
This is one of the options to get healthy pregnancy & avoid abortions.

Let me know if you have other concerns.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had missed abortions and performed DNC. Then failed IUI and IVF. How to improve sperm DNA integrity? 1 hour later
if my husband ll concentrate on antioxidant and vitamin c and other supplements. after that we cant go for natural conceiving? because in his family and in my family also thr is no abnormality history. all r having children. he doesn't have smoking and drinking habits. he regularly go to GIM. but work stress is too much. plz suggest my some medicine to improve all this problem. before that ivf dr said because of morphology they r doing imsi. now i have no trust on dr in bangalore. she has taken 4.5 lac. now again i font want to expend this much of amount whr guarantee is not thr

Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 44 minutes later
Welcome back.

Chance of natural conception depends on many factors.
If wife's age is below 35, tubes are patent, menses are regular & if you are trying for pregnancy for less than 3-5 years, DNA fragmentation alone won't prevent you from getting pregnant.
As one of your husband's semen analysis showed low motility, he can get it rechecked once more after 2-3 days of abstinence & if motility is fine & your case fits in the senario described above, you can try naturally.
If motility is again low, but sufficient for IUI, you can try IUI.

Regarding chance of repeat abortion: as you had two successive abortions, risk of abortion will be there. But one good news for you is, as both abortions had different genetic defects, risk of third abortion won't be too high.

Let me know if you have other concerns.

Wish you good luck.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had missed abortions and performed DNC. Then failed IUI and IVF. How to improve sperm DNA integrity? 38 minutes later
in our case conceiving is not the problem. whenever we have tried same month only conception has happend. tubes are open, menses are regular, age is 27. can u suggest me some good dr in bangalore

Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 54 minutes later

You can consult Dr Korula George/Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Regards.

Follow-up: Had missed abortions and performed DNC. Then failed IUI and IVF. How to improve sperm DNA integrity? 20 minutes later
Dr Korula XXXXXXX
which hospital ?

Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 16 minutes later
Baptist Hospital, Hebbal, Bangalore