Had miscarriage due to genetic abnormalities. What tests do we need to do?

Dear Doctor,
We have married on April 2008, first pregnancy was absorption on Sept 2009 due to abnormalities of baby (Genetic test of that baby was ok) and 2nd & 3rd pregnancy was miscarriage on Feb & July 2012.Please suggest what test we need to do to know the reason for that and give suggestion to get a baby
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Recurrent abortions can be due to several reasons. I am mentioning the reasons below and the tests that need to be done to rule out that condition. Let me know if these tests have been done for your wife. If so, please upload the reports.
a. Immune conditions like antiphospholipid antibody syndrome and SLE. Tests needed are antiphospholipid antibody levels and aPTT levels.
b. Anatomic causes- There is something wrong with the structure of the uterus or the cervix. A simple ultrasound of the pelvis can help us rule this out.
c. Infectious causes- these can be ruled out with cervical cultures
d. endocrine factors- these include diabetes and this needs a fasting plasma glucose level and an oral glucose tolerance test. Anti-thyroid antibodiesand serum progesterone levels in the second half of the cycle also need to be checked.
The treatment can only be decided once we decide the cause. This is a complex condition and I would suggest you see a good gynaecologist. This is not a condition which is managed at home.
Hope this helps
Let me know if I can address any more concerns