Had miscarriage and checked for polycystic ovaries. Going for first smear test. Should I be worried of having cervical cancer?

Infertility Specialist
Question
Hi, after having my baby 10 weeks ago I am going for my first smear next week, I should of had one before but never I am 29. I am really worried I have cervical cancer as not been checked. I have had 4 XXXXXXX ultrasounds in the last 4 years due to having prior miscarriage and been checked for polycistic ovarys which I never had. Would something have been detected on the scans?. Think I am over thinking as I have been diagnosed with anxiety. Thank.
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

I have read your query & I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) You are little over thinking and anxious. Be relaxed.

2) It is not common to get cervical cancer that too at young age of 29 years. Your worry is not necessary.

3) Miscarriages and polycystic ovaries are unrelated and hence not to be worried.

4) Since its just 10 weeks you delivered, I suggest you wait for another month for uterus to return to normal physiologically before getting papsmear.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any followup queries you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist.

Follow-up: Had miscarriage and checked for polycystic ovaries. Going for first smear test. Should I be worried of having cervical cancer? 14 hours later
Ok thanks, sorry I was meaning that although I have not a smear done before I have had 4 XXXXXXX scan in the last couple of years so if I did have cervical cancer would it have been detected on them?.

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

It is not possible to detect early stages of cervical cancer by scans. Getting PAP smear is best. But I suggest you relax as you dont have much chance at this age. Do it after sometime.

Follow-up: Had miscarriage and checked for polycystic ovaries. Going for first smear test. Should I be worried of having cervical cancer? 1 hour later
I am just really worried I will go for my smear and they will say I have terminal cancer.

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 15 hours later

Please dont worry. Terminal cancer would have been diagnosed during your delivery. Just relax and go to doctor