Had miscarriage. Ultrasound showed mild endometrial thickening and heterogeneity with no embryo. Suggest

May 2013
HI.. I was diag. w a missed miscarriage,after passing blood clots, the next day I delivered in bathtub at home to a clearly 8-12 embryo, about the size of a index finger, 3 cm maybe , went to hospital and it was sent off to lab for further testing but no scan for me , is that normal… My ultrasound intra showed mild endometrial thickening and heterogeneity, with an anechoic, structure seen the endometrial canal, which may represent a gest. sac versus a pseudo sac. If this does not indeed represents an irregular failed gets. sac, the measurement yield an set. best. age by ultrasound of the 5 wk 3 day. ( which i told that i thought was the age) There is no yolk sac or embryo seen ….. can you explain this for me please
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Blighted ovum or stopped heart beat of embryo Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Sometimes gestational sac develops with out embryonic pole, which is called as blighted ovum. Sometimes growth of the embryo can get stopped after few weeks due to various reasons. For more details : In these cases, the miscarriage is possible. Transvaginal ultrasound can identify the fetal pole by 5 completed weeks of gestation and heart beat by 6 completed weeks usually. Sometimes because of wrong dates, delayed ovulation etc ultrasound may not detect these things as expected. So possibly after your ultrasound, fetal pole might have developed with heart, which may stopped working after few days or without heart. And may be because of that you have seen around 8 weeks embryo after abortion. Better to undergo ultrasound once to confirm the completion of abortion. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.