Had miscarriage. Test showed low platelet count and high monocyte. Is this the cause of miscarriage?

Mar 2016

Just had my second miscarriage, got some labs back from previous test with WBC at 4.6, platelet count at 121 and monocyte 18.8. With low platelet count and high monocyte could that have affected my pregnancy in any way resulting in miscarriage.
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 9 hours later

Thanks for writing to us. I have gone through your history in details.

The following information may help you to understand causes for concurrent pregnancy loss or miscarriage and measures to prevent them.

Low platelet count (121) is called thrombocytopenia and high number of monocyte count (18.8%) is called monocytosis. Both occurs due to inflammatory conditions such as infection or autoimmune disturbances like lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, type 1 diabetes, celiac disease etc which are more commonly associated with hashimoto's thyroiditis, leads to hypothyroidism by auto antibodies (destroy thyroid tissue) and further miscarriage.

With defective immune system, one in 200 couples will experience two or more consecutive miscarriages. Almost 50 % of these are associated with underlying auto immune disorder. The underlying cause of the autoimmune process for hashimoto's disease is still unknown. It is 5-10 times more common in women and create problem in conceiving & leads to further miscarriage.

In addition, TORCH infection, low progesterone level, Anti Phospholipid Syndrome (APS), chromosomal abnormality are also associated with recurrent miscarriage.

Therefore, you need to undergo proper investigations by the means of blood test, hormone assay & other serological tests to rule out the underlying causes. Proper line of treatment depends on pin point diagnosis. Here, I suggest you to consult with rheumatologist/ reproductive endocrinologist before planning to next pregnancy.

You should take healthy diet with selenium & Vitamin-E (acts as anti oxidant) supplements to decrease antibody levels against thyroid tissue to give extra support for pregnancy. Thyroid medication & folic acid supplements are also essential in preconception period to avoid miscarriage.

Some other measures may be helpful to improve body immune system like 1) try to avoid stress/ anxiety/psychological upset 2) drink plenty of water & eat more vegetables and fresh fruits 3) do light physical exercise regularly 4) maintain genital hygiene properly 5) need adequate sleeping also.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future.

Dr Soumen.