Had miscarriage. Taking ovral-L. Is it safe to discontinue ovral-L to prevent pregnancy?

My wife had a miscarriage recently. The gynaecologist suggested to use ovral-L tablets for a period of 21 days. My wife had already had two tablets since the last couple of days. Also, the gynaecologist suggested that we should not plan for next child for the next four months. She explained that the reason why ovral-L is prescribed, is to make the next period/s occur on time. We have learnt from the net and other sources that this prescription is a contraception. Our question is--if we stay away from sexual intercourse for the next 3-4 months, then, can she discontinue using ovral-L to prevent pregnancy for the next few months? Is it safe? Please explain.
Posted Mon, 23 Jul 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us

Yes if you do not indulge in sexual activity , she can stop taking these pills.

Investigate her for the cause of miscarriage under your doctor's guidance.

Best wishes

Any further query is most welcome.
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 31 minutes later

I can understand your concern but your wife’s gynecologist is right as periods after miscarriage are often erratic and irregular. To regularize the periods, your wie has been prescribed Ovral L which is a contraceptive.

Ovral L is a monophasic, low dose combination of Levonorgestrel and Ethinylestradiol Tablets I.P. used to prevent pregnancy. Your wife should take it regularly for 21 days and then start a new pack after 7 days.

Fertility returns soon after the birth control pills are stopped and hopefully your wife should conceive after stopping the pills.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Had miscarriage. Taking ovral-L. Is it safe to discontinue ovral-L to prevent pregnancy? 23 hours later
Hello Ma'm,

Thanks for your reply. There's some more doubts: Can she join the gymnasium for now, since she's put up 61 kgs with the height as 4' 10"...? Also, is it possible to increase her haemoglobin levels near to her normal range? Now, she's having 8.8 mg/dl. Our doctor has prescribed Folic Acid tablets to be taken daily once. Can she continue later too? Any diet (brief) prescription would help a lot.

Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 2 hours later

Welcome back

It is better if she does brisk morning walk and yoga at home.

She can join gym after 6 weeks of miscarriage.

Regarding Haemoglobin , she can take iron tablets prescribed by your doctor.

As far as diet is concerned , XXXXXXX leafy vegetables , fresh fruits should be added in your diet.

Best wishes

Any further query is most welcome